The Cross-Country/Nordic Program provides a relaxed atmosphere at Devil’s Thumb Ranch Resort where our amazing volunteers spend the day with participants skiing on waxless cross-country skis, Nordic sit-skis or snowshoes.
- Silver Nordic Volunteers are fully trained NSCD instructors that commit to 5+ instructing days per season. New volunteers to the winter program are required to complete 2 days of training before volunteering with participants. Returning volunteers are only required to complete 1 refresher training. All Nordic Volunteers will receive a Devil’s Thumb Winter Trail Pass.*
- Gold Nordic Volunteers are also trained NSCD Instructors, though they commit to 10+ instructing days per season. Only Gold Nordic Volunteers are also eligible for a Winter Park Season Pass.* Training for volunteers is the same as a Silver Volunteer.
- Platinum Volunteers have already volunteered with the NSCD at the gold level for 15+ consecutive years, and have earned a lifetime pass to Winter Park resort. These instructors commit to 1 day of training and 5 volunteer days.
*Note: The NSCD-issued Winter Park Resort day and season passes and Devils Thumb Trail passes are issued to volunteers who do not own a pass of their own.
Schedule: Typically a volunteer picks the same day each week to volunteer throughout season. Programs are on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. Lunch is usually spent with the student and/or group.
- Must provide your own cross country equipment (snowshoes or waxless cross-country skis). Skate skis are not recommended.
- Aerobic fitness is a must as some groups are very energetic and can ski over 9 miles in 90 minutes!
- Must be 18+ years, if under the age of 18, please see the Junior Volunteer page
- Volunteer fees range from $15 to $60
- Volunteer application – released in August
- Background check
- Privacy and confidentiality agreement – complete and email
- Liability waiver – released in August, complete and email