The Cross-country/Nordic Program provides a relaxed atmosphere at Devil’s Thumb Ranch Resort where our amazing volunteers spend the day with participants skiing on waxless cross-country skis, Nordic sit-skis, or snowshoes.
- Silver Nordic Volunteers are fully trained NSCD instructors that commit to 5+ instructing days per season. New volunteers to the winter program are required to complete TWO days of training before volunteering with participants. Returning volunteers are only required to complete one refresher training. All Nordic Volunteers will receive a Devil’s Thumb Winter Trail Pass. *
- Gold Nordic Volunteers are also trained NSCD Instructors, though they commit to 10+ instructing days per season. Only Gold Nordic Volunteers are also eligible for a Winter Park Season Pass.* Training for volunteers is the same as a Silver Volunteer.
- Platinum Volunteers have already volunteered with the NSCD for 15+ consecutive years, and have earned a lifetime pass to Winter Park resort. These instructors commit to 1 day of training, and 5 volunteer days.
* Note: NSCD issued Winter Park Resort day and season passes and Devils Thumb Trail passes are issued to volunteers who do not own a pass of their own.
Schedule: Typically a volunteer picks the same day each week to volunteer throughout season. Programs are on Wednesday, Thursday and Saturdays. Lunch is usually spent with the student and/or group.
- Must provide your own cross country equipment
- Aerobic fitness is a must as some groups are very energetic and can ski over 9 miles in 90 minutes!
- Must be 18+ years
- Volunteer fees range from $15 to $60
- Volunteer application
- Background check
- Privacy and confidentiality agreement
- Liability waiver