Alpine Ski and Snowboard Program
Ski and snowboard instructors work with students who have a range of cognitive and/or physical disabilities. Ski and snowboard instructors spend their days on the slopes creating lifelong memories with participants.
Volunteer Commitment: We train you to work with adaptive students and equipment. Training begins in October and continues through December. Volunteers start working with participants in January. Please note: NSCD provided lift passes are given to volunteers who do not have a season pass to Winter Park Resort. Additionally, NSCD passes are only for the volunteer and not transferable to others.
Schedule: The average volunteer day is from 8:30 to 4:00 p.m. Programs operate seven days a week. We have 5-week programs that begin the first weekend in January and run for 5-weeks at a time throughout the winter season. In addition, we have custom groups that are scheduled on varying dates and durations. Typically a volunteer picks the same day each week to volunteer throughout season or can volunteer on flexible days with Custom Groups. Lunch is usually spent with the student and/or group.
- Bronze Volunteers are also known as Assistants to the Instructors, as their primary purpose is to ASSIST other Staff and Volunteer Instructors with lessons. Bronze Volunteers commit to a ½ day of training, and 2-full days of volunteering (lift pass provided). For every 2-full days of volunteering, a Bronze Volunteer will receive 1-day of free-skiing at Winter Park .
- Silver Volunteers are fully trained NSCD volunteer instructors that commit to 5+ instructing days per season. New volunteers to the winter program are required to complete FOUR on-mountain training sessions their first season, and a total of 5-6 within a calendar year. Returning volunteers are only required to complete one refresher training. Silver Volunteers will receive a limited lift pass to Winter Park Resort*, which will cover all training and teaching days, plus 5 free days.
- Gold Volunteers are also trained NSCD Instructors, though they commit to 10+ instructing days per season. Gold level volunteers will receive an unlimited Winter Park Resort Season Pass.* Training for volunteers is the same as a Silver Volunteer.
- Platinum Volunteers have already volunteered with the NSCD for 15+ consecutive years, and have earned a lifetime pass to Winter Park resort. These instructors commit to 1 day of training, and 5 volunteer days.
Volunteers may sign up for MORE days than their commitment level requires.
- Must provide your own ski/snowboard equipment (NSCD provides rentals for a fee and on an ‘as available basis’ after ensuring participants have the equipment they need)
- Must be an intermediate skier/snowboarder (or advanced-beginner)
- Must be 18+ years
- Volunteer fees range from $25 to $60
- Volunteer application
- Background check
- Privacy and confidentiality agreement
- Liability waiver