Ski and Snowboard Volunteer
Ski and snowboard instructors work with students who have a range of cognitive and/or physical disabilities. Ski and snowboard instructors spend their days on the slopes creating lifelong memories with participants.
Volunteer Commitment: We train you to work with adaptive students and equipment. Training begins the week of November 8th and continues through January. Volunteering opportunities begin in January.
- Platinum Volunteer: has already volunteered with the NSCD for 15+ years, 1 day refresher training, 5 volunteer days. Earn a lifetime pass to Winter Park Resort.
- Returning Gold Volunteer: 10 volunteer days per season, 1 day refresher training. Earn a free winter season pass to Winter Park Resort.
- Gold Volunteer: 10 volunteer days per season, 4 training days. Earn a free winter season pass to Winter Park Resort.
- Silver Volunteer: 5 volunteer days, 4 training days. Earn 5 free ski days at Winter Park Resort.
- Bronze Volunteer*: 3 half days of volunteering*, 1 half day training. Earn 3 half days of free skiing at Winter Park Resort.
* Bronze volunteers assist staff instructors and other volunteer instructors. This is a great introductory level for individuals to assist our participants and instructors.
Volunteers may sign up for MORE days than their commitment level requires.
Schedule: The average volunteer day is from 8:45 to 4:00 p.m. Programs operate Sunday through Saturday. We have 5-week programs that begin the first weekend in January and run for 5-weeks at a time throughout the winter season. In addition, we have custom groups that are scheduled on varying dates and durations. Typically a volunteer picks the same day each week to volunteer throughout season or can volunteer on flexible days with Custom Groups.
- Must provide your own ski/snowboard equipment (NSCD provides rentals for a fee and on an ‘as available basis’ after ensuring participants have the equipment they need)
- Must be an intermediate skier/rider (or advanced-beginner)
- Must be 18+ years (for those under 18-years see the Junior Volunteer Instructor page)
- Volunteer fees range from $25 to $60
- Lunch is usually spent with the student and/or group